Did you know January is Self-Love Month? Yes, so you don’t have to wait until your birthday or Mother’s Day to give yourself a treat by spending a little time and energy figuring out how to show yourself some love.
We women are champions at showing love to everyone else in our life by constantly “doing” for them. That’s how you show them love, I know that’s what I was taught. In the process, we deny ourselves and pretend that it doesn’t matter about us. Just as long as everyone else is well rested, we can stay up until midnight baking the cupcakes for the bake sale tomorrow. Just as long as everyone else has the latest (gadget, accessory, you fill in the blank ________), we can get by with hand-me-downs. Just as long as everyone else is happy, what we want doesn’t matter.
Yes, it does matter!
Nurturing yourself is important and modeling that behavior for everyone else in your life shows them you matter to yourself.
Make a list of what brings you joy. Then, get out your calendar, grab a highlighter, permanent marker (I don’t want you erasing these vital appointments) and block out time for you to actually do those things!
Are you having trouble figuring out what you could do?
Here are a few suggestions:
- Escape into a bubble bath – light a candle, pour yourself something sparkling to drink and sink into a scented tub.
- Have a picnic in the park – a brown bag lunch, tea and scones, or a piece of fruit and a slice of cheese – just grab a blanket or a bench and sit quietly.
- Watch a chick-flick – an afternoon at the movies (on your couch, or my favorite, the whole darkened theatre experience with popcorn and dancing hot dogs).
- Wander through a vintage clothing store, craft store, garden center, or down to the beach…whatever destination that you never allow yourself the time to explore and indulge your curiosity.
- Visit a museum and do not take a guided tour– Find one exhibit/sculpture/painting that moves you and spend time sitting quietly getting lost in the art.
- Write in a journal for 15-minutes – make it fun if you are a reluctant writer – use colored paper, colored pens/pencils/crayons – be creative. This is for you…write what comes into your head and don’t worry about if it makes sense, that it should be a complete sentence, or if it looks like a random wish list. You are taking dictation from your Inner Self.
- Plan a mini-break just for yourself. When was the last time you went away for the weekend by yourself? Never? Well, it’s time to figure out how to make that happen. Time away from the world helps you recharge and refocus.
Just a few ideas to get you started. Your list will include the things that bring you joy and you just don’t seem to take the time to do them anymore.
I know you won’t do this for yourself, so I’m giving you permission to start today.
Give yourself and everyone else in your life the gift of a happier, healthier, more joyful YOU! Make yourself a priority by spending quality time nurturing YOU!
P. S. So…. Get on with it…make the list, choose one thing you can do this week and write it on your calendar. Please share with me what you come up with. I love new ideas of places to explore and new experiences.
photo credit: MEKnippel, Crooked Lake, MN