Here’s an idea to encourage writing without actually doing any writing…Intrigued? Sometimes you have to keep your hands busy so that your head will stop spinning those “what if” scenarios and your heart can catch up with what you are really feeling. You know what I’m talking about. Sometimes you just need to have a task to do that involves a practical result, a dash of intuition and generous dose of creativity. In other words…here’s a perfect mixture of play with purpose when want a little down time (you can do this in a half hour to an hour) without guilt or drama.
I’m sharing this in honor of National Craft Month. Its a simple and useful craft – collage a cover on a small journal. No special equipment or tools necessary. You have everything you need without fussing with exotic supplies or detailed instructions:
- start with a notebook (any size will do…you probably have one hanging around in your desk drawer)
- collect bits of interesting paper (junk mail, magazines, gift wrap, copy a favorite picture – add a bit of whimsy with a rubber stamp if you have some hanging around your desk drawer)
- tear pictures from the magazines, line up the gift wrap in a design, use the junk mail to create a short poem or slogan
- arrange the bits of paper to be pleasing to your eye
- attach the paper to the notebook cover with a glue stick and your creation is complete
- Bonus: Combine the embellished journal in a pretty gift pouch along with a small pen and you have a thoughtful token ready for any number of occasions.