If you are anything like me, you live by your lists: groceries to buy, errands to run, appointments (to make, keep and reschedule), deadlines, task reminders, calls to return, and on and on. But where are you on those lists? Where does self-love fit in? Hurray if you made an appointment for yourself in there to get your hair or nails done. Double points if you booked a massage. Negative points if you only appear on the list to take your car in for an oil change, or you padded your schedule so that you had 15 minutes extra to relax in between your dentist appointment and a follow-up call with a client.
I know you won’t do this for yourself, so here’s your Official VIP Slip to start today.
You don’t have to wait until your birthday or Mother’s Day to give yourself a treat by spending a little time and energy figuring out how to show yourself some love.
Women are champions at showing love to everyone else in our life by constantly “doing” for them. That’s how you show them love, I know that’s what I was taught. In the process, we deny ourselves and pretend that it doesn’t matter about us. Just as long as everyone else is well-rested, we can stay up until midnight baking the cupcakes for the bake sale tomorrow. Just as long as everyone else has the latest (gadget, accessory, you fill in the blank ________), we can get by with hand-me-downs. Just as long as everyone else is happy, what we want doesn’t matter.
Yes, it does matter!
Nurturing yourself is important and modeling that behavior for everyone else in your life shows them you matter to yourself.
Make a list of what brings you joy. Then, get out your calendar, grab a highlighter, permanent marker (I don’t want you erasing these vital appointments) and block out time for you to actually do those things!
Are you having trouble figuring out what you could do?
Here are a few suggestions:
- Escape into a bubble bath – light a candle, pour yourself something sparkling to drink and sink into a scented tub.
- Watch a chick-flick – an afternoon at the movies (on your couch, or my favorite, the whole darkened theatre experience with popcorn and dancing hot dogs).
- Wander through a vintage clothing store, craft store, garden center, or down to the beach…If your favorite haunt isn’t available right now, I understand many of these stores have amazing websites as an alternative to in-person wandering. Just entertain the idea to visit whatever destination that you never allow yourself the time to explore and indulge your curiosity.
- Write in a journal for 15-minutes – make it fun if you are a reluctant writer – use colored paper, colored pens/pencils/crayons – be creative. This is for you…write what comes into your head and don’t worry about if it makes sense, that it should be a complete sentence, or if it looks like a random wish list. You are taking dictation from your Inner Self.
- Plan a mini-break just for yourself. When was the last time you went away for the weekend by yourself? Never? Well, it’s time to figure out how to make that happen. Time away from the world helps you recharge and refocus.
Just a few ideas to get you started. Your list will include the things that bring you joy and you just don’t seem to take the time to do them anymore.
Give yourself and everyone else in your life the gift of a happier, healthier, more joyful YOU! Make yourself a priority by spending quality time nurturing YOU!
P. S. So…. Get on with it…make the list, choose one thing you can do this week and write it on your calendar. Please share with me what you come up with. I love new ideas of places to explore and new experiences.
photo credit: MEKnippel, Crooked Lake, MN